This has to be the healthiest recipe ever. We had seen this at other blogs but the inspiration to make our version of it came in the need to create a healthy tea-time snack. Dried-fruit is something you get a lot in gourmet grocery stores these days and we've liked what we tried. So here we went trying our own version of these delicious and super-healthy chips.
Ingredients - It's a joke :)
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp powdered sugar (optional)
Method - It's simple but needs time and patience
1. Pre-heat the oven at 100 - 125°C / 225° F
2. Cut two apples into as thin slices as possible. This really is important as thick slices would never get crisp enough to make chips. Use your sharpest knife and slice patiently.
3. Lay out the apple slices in a baking tray lined with parchment paper and then sprinkle cinnamon and sugar evenly on all slices.
4. Put the tray in the oven and bake for 60 minutes. You will start to get that lovely cinnamon smell mixed with the baked apple aroma. Mmmm...
5. Take out the oven tray and flip over the apple slices. Now sprinkle the slices again with the sugar-cinnamon mixture and put back in the oven for 60 minutes. Baking on low-heat for a long duration is the key to this recipe.
6. If after 2 hours of low-heat baking, the apple slices are not yet crisp, bake for another 30-45 minutes or even more. This time really depends on how hot your oven gets and how thick the slices are. But be patient, you will eventually get them crisp
7. Once you start to feel that they are getting crisp, turn off the oven and let the chips cool in the oven for about an hour. Stop, don't eat, patience is the key !!
8. Lay them out in a wire-rack and cool for another 30 minutes
Voila! You'l get crisp, sweet and super-nice smelling apple chips. These really are the thing for which it was said - "No one can eat just one"